4:20 PM

Under my Umbrella

Posted by JMT |

Sidewalks are pretty narrow places that smash together people from all walks of life. In Athens, where driving is more of a luxury than a necessity, students tread the sidewalks hurriedly between classes. The sidewalk forces people together with a bump or a brush, and is the location of many a scuffle. Sometimes, like when the weather is rainy, the sidewalk width is just too small to accommodate everyone.

This week I thought it might be fun to be behind the camera for a change. I enlisted the help of my friend Liz Westendorf to attempt to hold an umbrella over strangers on two occasions. The first day we went out it was raining and even hailing for a brief period. The second day was cloudy, but no rain. Not surprisingly, and comically, people found it much more normal for someone to try to share an umbrella on a rainy day than on a clear day.

Liz went through the same difficulties with nerves I did, but I think she is so hilarious on a day-to-day basis that the whole task was more enjoyable. Once again, while we both set out with the fear of being yelled at or ostracized, we were pleasantly surprised by the reaction of people on the street. In this experiment, it seemed that children were far more disturbed at the idea of walking under Liz's umbrella than adults. I figure this has to do with the "stranger danger" mindset of all kids these days. Regardless, it was a lot of fun. Below is a clip of our umbrella endeavors.


6 comments:

Jessica Lewis said...

I love the fact that you just try and break social norms throughout your blog, and especially in this situation. It's really interesting to see people's reactions. I don't know what I would do if someone I didn't know just came up and held an umbrella over me--I'd probably walk away, to be honest.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, if someone tried to hold an umbrella over my head and I didn't know them, I would think they were a huge creep and like that one kid...walk away. Hah. Definitely funny to try though.
P.S. MIA yeahhh girl !

JMT said...

I am glad you both enjoyed the video. Badtouch, I owe that wonderful music choice to my friend Sean Cherry; we sat together and scrolled through different music we might like.

Jessica, it's pretty funny to me making these clips because I am counting on the fact people will be uncomfortable and react like you said you would. It is truly interesting to me when people, like a couple in the clip, stay under the umbrella for any number of reasons.

Unknown said...

I really like the girl who awkwardly tries to get out from under then just accepts it

Unknown said...

This is great. I wish I would have been around to see some of these happen. I'm surprised nobody has tried to turn it around yet and make it awkward back, like getting close to Liz and putting their arm around her.

JMT said...

Graham, it depresses me to think that people may be acting (or not acting) a certain way because they have just given up. But it is still hilarious.

Andy, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Post a Comment