One of the highlighted locations perspective students tour while visiting Ohio University is the Ping Student Center, the gym that acts as a hub for student recreation. Students and community members go there daily, work up a sweat and leave happy. Most of the time, they get by with their iPods lodged firmly in their ears and without having to interact with strangers.

I high-tailed it to Ping to not only speak with strangers, but to try to physically interact with them by asking them to stretch out with me. With shame I admit that much of the time, it was I who was super uncomfortable while interacting. My favorite interaction can be seen in the clip below.

Leah Crone-Magyroy, a senior green-design major, is highlighted in the clip below. She was friendly throughout the whole strange ordeal, agreeing immediately to help me by pulling on my arms, pushing on my calves, and allowing me to wrap my arms around her to try to crack her back.

"It was awfully random," Crone-Magyroy said. "No one had ever asked me [to help her stretch] before, but I wasn't weirded out."

Jesse Midwood,25, is the helpful stranger that responded to my shouts for assistance in cracking my back. He said he visits Ping once a week and though he was shocked I asked a stranger for help with my back, he was happy to lend his expertise.

Truthfully, the response of the Ping-ers went completely against that of my hypothesis. It didn't seem to matter what I asked, as long as I had a big smile on my face and tried to be nice, I was treated well in return.

0 comments:

Post a Comment