11:48 AM

Sharing IS Caring

Posted by JMT |

One of the things I love most in the world is food. I admit this; cooking it, sharing it, making an event of it is one of the best ways to have fun with anyone. As the adage goes, food brings people together. But what about when you ask a friend for some of her food? A few of my friends (including myself) basically growl at each other and then grudgingly allow the friend to take an it-better-be-small bite.

And when you ask people you have never seen before for a bite of their foodstuffs? You don't. It is not socially acceptable at all. It probably has a lot to do with sanitation reasons. That I didn't think about until after the taping of the clip below. If I die of some strange illness in the next week, you will know it was a result of the following clip. This is was just a tiny sample of the student population, a few of the people I asked were foreign-exchange students who all shared their food with me. Junior Katie Fritz from Australia said it didn't bother her at all when I asked for a fry because "everyone shares everything in Australia."
So perhaps this is partially an American phenomenon. The New America Foundation published a great article about American eating.

No matter, the clip I made this week takes place in fast-foodish restaurants and shows me asking strangers for food. Some of the people took a bit of convincing. While I think the video may not be as fun to watch as some of the others, it was the scariest to perform and in the end I was the most pleased with the results. I had never seen so many outwardly uncomfortable, sad people conceding to an individual's wishes. On a side note, I will probably die from this fast-food consumption if the disease doesn't kill me, the restaurant will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although there is no sound to the video, I absolutely love this. I cannot believe you are ballsy enough to do this! When you talked about it in class I could hardly believe you were going to do it! Personally, I think I would have laughed and said, sorry, I don't think so. Good thing you're adorable and no one got crazy pissed or anything! -Kailey

JMT said...

Ha Kailey! I know, I tend to get really ridiculously animated in order to convince people of something. In a situation where the eyes of strangers are boring into mine with anger, confusion and sometimes hostility, I think I yak it up all the more:D

Post a Comment