10:06 PM

Wed White and Blue

Posted by JMT |

Ah, the smell of fall. Halloween is days away and I am thinking what everyone else must be thinking... weddings. Here is my thought process: Halloween, costumes. Costumes, wedding dresses. Wedding dresses, weddings all over the world.

I have already been exposed to some interesting wedding traditions in the past. For instance, at Jewish weddings I have been witness to the groom smashing a glass at the end of the ceremony. But I really do not know much about universal wedding norms. I would think it would not be okay to kiss the bride if you are not the groom, but even this has been tradition in different cultures. Maybe it's just me, but I would think you should take off your wedding veil before you do a keg stand.

It isn't tradition to wear white all over the world, even red and black are popular in some countries. In the U.S.A I am consistently disappointed by our cultural windfall. But we also borrow many really interesting traditions from other cultures to dress up our own tired white gown, best man, ring bearer, Wagner's Bridal Chorus shtick.

Below you can check out some of interesting wedding norms (and trends) that exist across the world. If you are interested in further knowledge (of which there is a ton) check out this interesting site.


View Wedding Norms Worldwide in a larger map

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This actually has nothing to do with weddings, but it's awesome and might give you some ideas (which hopefully I will not be involved in unless my services are needed for camera work since we all know how wonderful I am when it comes to breaking social norms): http://colormekatie.blogspot.com/2009/10/grocery-store-musical.html

JMT said...

You were absolutely wonderful. And I love watching Imrov Everywhere... you can click on the link in the top left corner of the clog to see what they are currently up to.

Brick Tripper said...

Jess,

This is a really cool idea for an interactive map. I love the little icons you used! And the information you included was really neat, too. I really like Bermuda's tradition with the sapling on the cake. I know it's a bit cheesy and love fern-ish, but it's still adorable.

Speaking of different wedding traditions, a girl I worked with is getting married in January and is having an all-white wedding, right down to the bridesmaids dresses. Interesting, no?

Nice job! Entertaining, as always!

-Courtney

JMT said...

Thank you Courtney. Hmmm... all white? Honestly, I don't think I'm a fan. What is it with that "innocent" thing? If I had to choose one of the traditions above, I would most likely go with blackening the bride. It just sounds great and hilarious. Maybe I will get married in red! (chhhh... marriage.... hahhaaha).

Post a Comment